Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Submit your assignment instructions
1. Read Alice Walker’s The Color Purple (any edition of these books is OK).
2. Interview someone who is different from you in a significant way, such as race/ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, etc. and who you believe has been discriminated against in some way. Ask questions that give your interviewee a chance to give examples of discrimination that he/she has faced because of being “different.” Keep notes of your interview.
3. Create an “interview log” in which you address these questions:
a. What questions did you ask in your interview session?
b. What was your overall reaction to the interview?
c. What reactions did you observe your interview subject have to your questions?
d. How were your own thoughts and feelings affected by the interview?
e. What surprised, excited, puzzled, troubled, angered, or interested you about what your interview subject said?
f. What solutions can you imagine for some of the problems your interview subject mentioned?
g. What questions would you ask your subject if you were to do a second interview?
BE SURE TO ADDRESS EACH OF THESE POINTS IN YOUR INTERVIEW LOG.
4. Write an essay of 1900-2000 words describing and analyzing your experiences with reading the book and with the interview. Make at least three connections between the book and the interviewee, with at least three quotations from the book. Put the number of words in your essay beside the title.
5. Submit your interview log and essay together in one Word file, with the sections clearly labeled