Swamped with your writing assignments? Take the weight off your shoulder!
Submit your assignment instructions
Stage I: Introduction, Theory, and Literature Review (40pts)
Complete the INTRODUCTION, THEORY, and LITERATURE REVIEW sections of the
Part I: INTRODUCTION (10pts)
Prepare approximately two paragraphs discussing the broad topic being studied.
• The initial paragraph should introduce the topic by stating the problem of adolescent
substance use. Provide ample scholarly evidence, in the form of three separate facts, that
support the claim adolescent substance use is a popular problem. The three facts should
come from at least two different scholarly sources.
• Explain why adolescent drug use is a social problem in the United States (i.e. what are
the negative consequences of adolescent drug use?). Three distinct consequences from at
least two different scholarly sources should be provided. Be sure to avoid errors in
• The next paragraph should state the importance/benefits of studying this topic. State the
purpose of your study (What factors are related to adolescent substance use?).
• Finally, state the research question (Can social learning theory explain adolescent drug
use?), briefly explain social learning theory, and state the primary research method
(survey high school students).
o Hint: See the document named Data Description (available on Blackboard) for
more information about the data of this study.
Part II: THEORY (10pts)
The theoretical framework should help explain why adolescents start using illegal drugs. It
should explain why each social learning theory factor is related to substance use.
• Begin this section by stating the purpose of the theory section.
• Next, in one to two paragraphs, fully explain social learning theory. What does the theory
say about crime? What are the definitions of the four social learning theory factors? How
does each social learning factor explain crime?
• Last, apply the theory specifically to substance use. Broadly apply social learning theory
to substance use and then specifically explain how each social learning factors is related
to adolescent drug use.
Part III: LITERATURE REVIEW (10pts)
A literature review is a review of the current research that is related to the topic. It will consist of
at least 5 paragraphs and include at least four sources that are not used in class.
• Prior to the first paragraph, include an introduction statement that explains the
purpose of the section and it is necessity.
• Then, in paragraphs 1 through 4, summarize empirical research that studies the
relationship between the four social learning theory factors and adolescent drug use. Each
paragraph will include one cited source that matches one social learning theory factor.
The summaries should include the sources’ study design and findings.
• The fifth paragraph summarizes the collective findings of the four social learning theory
factors. This paragraph includes each of the studies cited in paragraphs 1-4, and explains
Part IV: In-Text Citations and REFERENCES (5pts)
It is a MUST to use in-text citations throughout the INTRODUCTION, THEORY, and
LITERATURE REVIEW sections. EVERY claim made in the introduction MUST be cited.
Cite where the information regarding the theory came from. Cite each study reviewed in the
literature review section. Attach a separate reference page that provides citations for the sources